Migrating to Firefox 57 and Web Extensions

I’ve had the latest Beta Version of Firefox installed alongside my normal install for some time. Well, actually, I currently have Firefox 56 32-bit, 56 64-bit, ESR 52.3.0 32-bit, and 57 beta4 64bit installed. :) All of them are using separate profiles. Anyway, since my beta install has been updated to Firefox 57 (beta 4 now), I’ve been using it as my primary browser to test things out and see if I can tweak it to match my normal install.

The biggest change is that it will only allow add-ons made with the Web Extensions framework to load. All Legacy extensions will be disabled. Fortunately, some of my extensions already had an updated version; however, many did not. Some extensions may be impossible as a Web Extension and have the same functionality. So, I began searching for replacements to achieve similar results. I have changed my Firefox Configuration page on my main website to show my current setup. You can visit that page to see what extensions I’ve got and the tweaks I’ve done with userChrome.css. Lot’s of Googling during this process LOL. I thought about listing my before and after extensions to show what I replaced with what but it’s all still in flux. We’ll also have to see if everything behaves the same once version 57 is released in the normal channel. Oh, for those that used Classic Theme Restorer, you might want to check out Things possible in Firefox 57+ (by using code tweaks in userChrome.css) · Issue #365 · Aris-t2/ClassicThemeRestorer for what might be possible. I did go ahead and remove CTR because there was no need to keep it for a possible update.

Here’s what mine is currently looking like:

Firefox 57 Beta Appearance

Things have turned out not as bad as I had feared and I am happy with things so far and will continue to tweak things and see which replacement extensions work the best. :) If I think of something else I’ll update this post or make a follow-up one.

Blog Updated to WordPress v4.8.2

I just updated my blog to WordPress v4.8.2 which was primarily a security patch with some additional changes. As always, I backed up my files and database first. I have automatic updates disabled so I can do this beforehand. Nothing changed with the Twenty Twelve theme so I didn’t have to worry about anything there. So far it seems this update has gone smoothly. :)

How to Get RSS Feeds For All Your YouTube Subscriptions

This is a follow-up to my post How to Get a YouTube Channel’s RSS Feed. I actually stumbled onto this by accident (by clicking on the red SUBSCRIPTIONS link in the left-hand menu it would seem). You need to go to https://www.youtube.com/subscription_manager on YouTube and at the bottom you will see Export to RSS readers with an Export subscriptions button on the right. After clicking the button it will download a XML file to your system.

Next, if you happen to be using Feedly, you can now import all of your YouTube RSS feeds at once by going to the Organize Sources section which should be at https://feedly.com/i/organize and clicking the Import OPML button on the top-right and selecting the XML file you just downloaded from YouTube. There you go! :) Other RSS readers should have a similar import mechanism. Hope this helped someone.

Recording MP3 Versions of MIDI Movie Themes

Because Firefox has basically stopped all plugins from working except Flash since version 52 and workarounds failing with version 55 (ugh..), none of my DVD and Blu-ray pages that have an embedded MIDI player using the Microsoft’s Windows Media Player plugin work any longer. So, I decided to record MP3 versions of them which can be played using a standard HTML5 <audio> tag that all modern browsers support.

Audacity and XMPlay

Originally, I used Cool Edit 2000 which I’ve had a licensed copy of for some time. I recorded The Best of Benny Hill theme using it. Since then, I’ve been using Audacity to record the audio while using XMPlay to play the MIDI file. I then exported the audio as a MP3 using the Lame library. I used the Extreme quality preset during the export. So, now on pages like Star Wars IV: A New Hope, there’s a MP3 player as well. Since I’m using the MediaElements.js HTML5 video player on these pages, I decided to their MP3 player also.

Now I need to figure out what I’m going to do with my General MIDI page, if anything. Hmmm… 😖 For now, at least, the Windows Media Player plugin still works in Firefox ESR 52.

Blog Updated to WordPress v4.8.1

I just updated my blog to WordPress v4.8.1 which contained a number of maintenance fixes and enhancements. As always, I backed up my files and database first. I have automatic updates disabled so I can do this beforehand. Nothing changed with the Twenty Twelve theme so I didn’t have to worry about anything there. So far it seems this update has gone smoothly. :)