Website Changes for December 2013

Main Website

At the beginning of this month, GetGlue finally killed their old (and better IMO) website which also had the side-effect of killing off their widgets which ran from that site.  So, I had to remove their widgets from all the places where I used them. I guess they don’t want the free publicity anymore. This also means that you can no longer check-in to topics or music artists as the new site only does tv shows, movies, and sporting events. If that weren’t bad enough, they also cancelled the sending out of physical stickers. Not much reason to even use them anymore. I guess on the bright side, my sites load a little faster now LOL. Heh.. :-|

Blog

Update December 14, 2013: WordPress released version 3.8 and I’ve updated the blog to that version. This time wasn’t as smooth as my browser just sat there after clicking the Update button in the admin section. A PHP error was also generated about it having problems with wordpress.org. I suspect the server was timing out or there was too much packet-loss or other internet connectivity issues between my webhost server and wordpress.org. So, I had to do the old-fashioned manual upgrade, which I suppose in some respects is probably a safer way to do things. This also installed a new default theme called Twenty Fourteen. I’ll be playing around with it locally to see if I want to use it or not. If I make it act/look like what I have now, then there’s kinda no point in using it LOL.


In addition to the removal of the GetGlue widget, I changed the font my theme was using after I discovered how horrible it looked on my parent’s Windows XP system. The text was washed out and multicolored looking. To make a long story short, the Twenty Twelve theme loads an external custom “Open Sans” font from Google which looks like crap on Windows XP from the internet searches I did. After some digging around for a solution I was able to disable this custom font use by adding the following to my child theme’s functions.php file:

function mrh_dequeue_fonts() {
	     wp_dequeue_style( 'twentytwelve-fonts' );
	 }
 
add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'mrh_dequeue_fonts', 11 );

For the moment my theme now uses the following fonts (which were in the same font-family the theme was originally using minus the “Open Sans” reference):

body, body.custom-font-enabled {
    font-family: Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;
}

In my particular case, it uses Arial as I don’t have Helvetica installed on my system.


Well, that’s all that comes to mind for now. Will add to this as needed. :)