Migrating to Firefox 57 and Web Extensions

I’ve had the latest Beta Version of Firefox installed alongside my normal install for some time. Well, actually, I currently have Firefox 56 32-bit, 56 64-bit, ESR 52.3.0 32-bit, and 57 beta4 64bit installed. :) All of them are using separate profiles. Anyway, since my beta install has been updated to Firefox 57 (beta 4 now), I’ve been using it as my primary browser to test things out and see if I can tweak it to match my normal install.

The biggest change is that it will only allow add-ons made with the Web Extensions framework to load. All Legacy extensions will be disabled. Fortunately, some of my extensions already had an updated version; however, many did not. Some extensions may be impossible as a Web Extension and have the same functionality. So, I began searching for replacements to achieve similar results. I have changed my Firefox Configuration page on my main website to show my current setup. You can visit that page to see what extensions I’ve got and the tweaks I’ve done with userChrome.css. Lot’s of Googling during this process LOL. I thought about listing my before and after extensions to show what I replaced with what but it’s all still in flux. We’ll also have to see if everything behaves the same once version 57 is released in the normal channel. Oh, for those that used Classic Theme Restorer, you might want to check out Things possible in Firefox 57+ (by using code tweaks in userChrome.css) · Issue #365 · Aris-t2/ClassicThemeRestorer for what might be possible. I did go ahead and remove CTR because there was no need to keep it for a possible update.

Here’s what mine is currently looking like:

Firefox 57 Beta Appearance

Things have turned out not as bad as I had feared and I am happy with things so far and will continue to tweak things and see which replacement extensions work the best. :) If I think of something else I’ll update this post or make a follow-up one.