Category Archives: DVD/Home Theater

DVD/Blu-ray Pages Updated With HTML5 Player

Star Wars: The Complete SagaOver the past several days, I have been going through all my DVD/Home Theater pages and replacing the Flash player used for the trailers to a HTML5 with Flash Fall-back player.  The older Flash player was by JWPlayer. Now, they do have newer HTML5 players but their free version had logos or watermarks on them which I didn’t like. The one I am using now is by MediaElement.js.

There were also a few DVD and Blu-rays I added to the list that I never got around to adding. They were: Chisum DVD, Star Wars: The Complete Saga Blu-ray, and Avatar Blu-ray.

As I went through all the pages, I looked for newer MP4 versions of the trailers, most of which I did get from YouTube. I also updated the HTML code on all the pages to conform to HTML5 standards. The player seems to work fine in both Firefox 50.1.0 and Internet Explorer 9 and 11 (I finally installed IE11 into my Windows 7 system yesterday).

I then played around with a MediaElement.js Playlist Plugin on the Kill Bill: Volume 1 DVD page so I could show the older trailers which I really liked. The Playlist option doesn’t have a Flash fall-back option, however.

I’m now contemplating going through the remaining movies and adding trailers to those that don’t have one. So far I’ve done this with The 13th Warrior and 2010: The Year We Make Contact. I actually made the The 13th Warrior’s trailer from the DVD since the ones on the internet are so bad. Anyway, I guess that’s it for now. :)

Star Trek Beyond Added to Blu-ray Collection

Star Trek Beyond Blu-ray CoverI got Star Trek Beyond for Christmas so I’ve added it to my Blu-ray collection on my DVD/Home Theater page. It’s a great movie which I highly recommend.

Oh, I scanned the image in with my relatively new Epson XP-520 printer. Looks great I think. :) I’ve included a trailer on the page as well.

I am also testing a new WordPress plugin, Featured Image From URL, for using external images as the featured image.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Added to Blu-ray Collection

Star Wars: The Force AwakensWell, I just had to go out and buy Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens on Blu-ray and add it to my collection. I have updated my DVD/Home Theater page accordingly. Even though my Blu-ray player is a bit old, it loaded and played the movie fine (the player took like 10 minutes before it would start letting me play Interstellar). I really liked the movie and can’t wait for Rogue One later this year and the following movies. :)

Website Changes for September 2012

For a long time back in the past I used to post little news snippets on the home page of my main website at www.markheadrick.com about changes I’d make to the site; however, I haven’t been sure if each little change really warranted a separate blog posting so a lot of things have never been mentioned unless it was something radical. Yes, I am well aware that 99.99% of the people out there couldn’t give a flying fruitcake about any of it; however, that’s beside the point. LOL :) So, what I thought I would do is create a monthly post about changes made to my various sites and update that post during the month with updates. The primary focus being on my main site as the others have the own “news” sections about changes made to them. If it’s something major with code examples and what not then those will have their own post with a reference to the change in these posts. Yeah.. that’s the ticket!

Saturday, September 22, 2012

I noticed that I had the title of one my movies slightly wrong. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is now correct. I missed one of the “The”s LOL. While I was at it, I also added the DVD Empire and ImDB links as well as a trailer for the movie! Naturally, I also updated my main DVD/Home Theater page.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

After reading The Guide For Fixing & Preventing Hacks a few days ago, I decided to go through my various directories (at my webhost) and delete old and no longer used files (many being renamed versions of other files for backup purposes) and create some .htaccess redirects for pages that once existed that were now just pages that said to go to the new page.

Today, I also tweaked my hardware page to use locally stored copies of my cable modem’s speed test images with links to the originals at the speed test sites to slightly improve page load time and to reduce the dependency on those sites actually being up for the page to render properly. I also completely removed some of the older speed test references.

 We’ll just have to wait and see how this approach goes. :)