First, Version 4.2 introduced this Emoji stuff which I didn’t really care for and it broke some of my smileys in older posts, namely the “confused” one: 😕 (or
as one of the textual representations). It came across as an unrendered character on my system instead of the smiley image icon_confused.gif. I found a new plugin called Classic Smilies which removes the Emoji CSS and JS from loading and restores the older images.
Second, I decided to change the character set in my blog’s MySQL database from latin1 to utf8 which has been the default for some time. When I started my blog, latin1 was the default. I found Fixing a MySQL Character Encoding Mismatch and followed it. Here’s what I did:
- I used SQLyog, which I bought a long time ago, to first backup the database to another database and then to dump the original database as a SQL file.
- Edited the SQL file and changed all the CHARACTER SET= latin1 and CHARSET=latin1 statements to utf8 instead.
- Emptied the database to remove all tables and data.
- Altered the database to make the default charset utf8.
- Restored the database from the edited SQL file.
Now, all the fields in the database have a charset of utf8 and collation of utf8_general_ci. So far everything looks normal. I actually converted the database before updating to 4.2.1. 🙂