Over the past several days, I have been going through all my DVD/Home Theater pages and replacing the Flash player used for the trailers to a HTML5 with Flash Fall-back player. The older Flash player was by JWPlayer. Now, they do have newer HTML5 players but their free version had logos or watermarks on them which I didn’t like. The one I am using now is by MediaElement.js.
As I went through all the pages, I looked for newer MP4 versions of the trailers, most of which I did get from YouTube. I also updated the HTML code on all the pages to conform to HTML5 standards. The player seems to work fine in both Firefox 50.1.0 and Internet Explorer 9 and 11 (I finally installed IE11 into my Windows 7 system yesterday).
I’m now contemplating going through the remaining movies and adding trailers to those that don’t have one. So far I’ve done this with The 13th Warrior and 2010: The Year We Make Contact. I actually made the The 13th Warrior’s trailer from the DVD since the ones on the internet are so bad. Anyway, I guess that’s it for now. 🙂
Well, I just had to go out and buy Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens on Blu-ray and add it to my collection. I have updated my DVD/Home Theater page accordingly. Even though my Blu-ray player is a bit old, it loaded and played the movie fine (the player took like 10 minutes before it would start letting me play Interstellar). I really liked the movie and can’t wait for Rogue One later this year and the following movies. 🙂
For a long time back in the past I used to post little news snippets on the home page of my main website at www.markheadrick.com about changes I’d make to the site; however, I haven’t been sure if each little change really warranted a separate blog posting so a lot of things have never been mentioned unless it was something radical. Yes, I am well aware that 99.99% of the people out there couldn’t give a flying fruitcake about any of it; however, that’s beside the point. LOL 🙂 So, what I thought I would do is create a monthly post about changes made to my various sites and update that post during the month with updates. The primary focus being on my main site as the others have the own “news” sections about changes made to them. If it’s something major with code examples and what not then those will have their own post with a reference to the change in these posts. Yeah.. that’s the ticket!
After reading The Guide For Fixing & Preventing Hacks a few days ago, I decided to go through my various directories (at my webhost) and delete old and no longer used files (many being renamed versions of other files for backup purposes) and create some .htaccess redirects for pages that once existed that were now just pages that said to go to the new page.
Today, I also tweaked my hardware page to use locally stored copies of my cable modem’s speed test images with links to the originals at the speed test sites to slightly improve page load time and to reduce the dependency on those sites actually being up for the page to render properly. I also completely removed some of the older speed test references.
We’ll just have to wait and see how this approach goes. 🙂