Category Archives: Website Update

Blog Updated to WordPress 5.0

Well, I just updated my blog to the big WordPress 5.0 version which includes the new default editor, Gutenberg. As always, I backed up my files and database first. I have automatic updates disabled so I can do this beforehand. As I always do, I updated the local copy on my PC before updating my blog here.

Installing the update automatically disabled the separate Gutenberg plugin, which I then deleted. The TwentyTwelve theme I use also had an update to version 2.6 to become Gutenberg compatible. This update included editor styles to match how the theme looks on the front-end. There were no real code changes in the theme from the previous version that I had to include in my child theme. Just some tweaks to the style.css were needed (more on this later).

Following are some of my experiences and possible solutions to issues so far.

How to Change Inline Text Color Easier

One of the more annoying issues I’ve had with Gutenberg is not being able to change the color of text in a paragraph easily.  All you can do with the default tools is change the color of a complete paragraph. Luckily, someone has made the Advanced Rich Text Tools for Gutenberg which makes changing the color of words much easier within a paragraph.

Correcting Appearance of Variable Width Table Cells

The Table block currently has some real issues when using variable width table cells. If a couple columns have just one or two words and a third has a long paragraph, it will squash the other cells such that they’ll have one or two characters per line.  There’s an issue concerning this: Min-width needed on table columns · Issue #11266 · WordPress/gutenberg. As I mention there, the following CSS was the cause:

.wp-block-table td, .wp-block-table th {
   padding: .5em;
   border: 1px solid currentColor;
   word-break: break-all;
}

I corrected it by putting the following in my theme’s style.css and my custom editor blocks.css file:

.wp-block-table td, .wp-block-table th {
   word-break: unset;
}

Oh, to load custom editor styles, create a blocks.css file in your child theme’s directory and add the following to the theme’s functions.php:

function mytheme_block_editor_styles() {
    wp_enqueue_style( 'mytheme-block-editor-styles', get_theme_file_uri( '/blocks.css' ), false, '1.0', 'all' );
}

add_action( 'enqueue_block_editor_assets', 'mytheme_block_editor_styles' ,100);

Stop Loading Google Fonts in Editor

So far I have not been able to make it stop loading the fonts from Google when editing a post even though I am specifying a locally hosted font (which it also loads). For now, I have submitted the following support question: Topic: V2.6, Make editor not load Google Fonts | WordPress.org

Anyway, these are my issues so far with WordPress 5.0 and Gutenberg. 🙂 For those that can’t deal with Gutenberg now, you can install the Classic Editor plugin.

Twitter Killed Their Search Widgets

Well, Twitter finally went and did it. They killed their search widgets. All the search widgets stopped working on my web pages today. 🙁 They’ve been planning this for awhile: Deprecating widget settings – Announcements – Twitter Developers . The following pages are now missing their widgets: my Weather, NASCAR, and Entertainment Page, as well as the EverQuest II search at Mysstie.

So, for now, all I can do is provide links directly to Twitter, like #okwx OR #okfire OR #okquake – Twitter Search. Blah… Sigh.

Blog Updated to WordPress v4.9.8

I just updated my blog to WordPress v4.9.8. “This maintenance release fixes 46 bugs, enhancements and blessed tasks, including updating the Twenty Seventeen bundled theme..” As always, I backed up my files and database first. I have automatic updates disabled so I can do this beforehand. So far, the update seems to have gone smoothly. 😃

Galleries Updated to Zenphoto v1.5

Zenphoto LogoUpdated both of my galleries (mine, Mysstie’s) to Zenphoto v1.5. Followed their upgrade instructions and backed up the themes and zp-core directories as well as the database before copying over the new files.  I then used Windiff and code comparisons in PSPad to integrate any new changes in the default Garland theme into my custom Garland theme. The album.php, functions.php, image.php, news.php, pages.php, sidebar.php, themeoptions.php, and zen.css files were the only modified ones in this version from the previous.  So far everything seems to work fine.

One of the main differences I discovered is how the thumbnail filenames are being generated. Before they had the format: filename_150_cw150_ch150_thumb.jpg and now: filename_150_w150_h150_thumb.jpg (even though the are still being cropped). So, I had to make sure all the new thumbnails got generated are were present in the /cache/ directory. I then had to change the random image code on my main website, the blog here, and Mysstie’s main site to use the new file format.